I’m busy in my kitchen getting ready for the market tomorrow.
Shallot confit is simmering away in red wine and fresh thyme.
Cauliflower has been cut into cute little florets and is ready to hit the salted boiling water.
My fellow vendors from the market have been super helpful again this week -
Andrea from Thompson Small Farms dropped off fresh-picked green onions, kale, chard and a lone turnip.
Shirley from Grandma’s Kitchen has baked some buns for sandwiches that I’ll pick up later today.
The Hillhurst Sunnyside Farmer’s Market runs every Wednesday from 3:30-7:30pm. Besides the growing tables of farm fresh produce, there’s a bouncy castle for kids, live music to dance to and plenty of friendly vendors looking forward to meeting you. At my table, jennchic cooks, I will always feature the little chocolate chippers, but as produce keeps coming in I will work to incorporate these fresh, seasonal delights into salads, sandwiches and baking. The word on the street is that cherries will be arriving from BC any day now! Yahoo!
The Menu this week:
This is the perfect opportunity to pick up goodies for your Canada Day celebrations!
I’ve been loving playing with the ingredients and imagining the endless possibilities for all of you to enjoy:
- Super Deluxe Scrumptious Organic Almost Local Little Chocolate Chippers
- Happy Canada Day Forest Animal Cookies (moose, squirrels, porcupines, oh boy!)
- Baby Hazelnut Loaves
- Baby Lemon Poppyseed Loaves
- Pecan Millet Muffins (perfect for breakfast!)
- Apple Asparagus Slaw with Fennel and Cabbage
- Curried Cauliflower Salad with Chick Peas
- Green Bean and Red, Black & Wild Rice Salad
- Barbecue Tofu and Shallot Confit Sandwiches
- Hummus and Veggie Sandwiches
There is always a possibility of changes but they results will be equally yummy I promise!
See you tomorrow!